a little bit of history …
The Design Trust is proud to be celebrating 30 years of New Designers, the annual major design and craft graduate exhibition in London.
In 1985 design journalist and craft collector Peta levi MBE presented a ground-breaking show, then called ‘Young Designers’ at RIBA. Over the years New Designers grew massively in size and reputation. For thousands of creative graduates in the UK it has been their launch pad, their first taste of presenting themselves professionally.
Peta Levi also set up The Design Trust in 1994, as a charity to provide much needed business training for recent design and craft graduates. And she set up our sister company New Designers in Business, which later became Design Nation, to promote selected designers and makers.
to celebrate 30 years of New Designers
I decided to celebrate 30 years of New Designers by asking 30 designers and makers across the UK, from very different backgrounds and disciplines, and at various career stages to give their key business lessons. I asked them questions like:
- What did they teach you at art school that was really useful for real life? What didn’t they teach you?
- Where do you work? Give details of location, describe your studio setting briefly. How important or influential is your location?
- What advice would you give now to your-recently-graduated-self?
- Who was your first client?
- How did you manage to stand out from the crowd at the start of your career?
- Discovering what your specific talents are is crucial for many creatives. How did you find your niche or ‘signature style’? Or did ‘it’ find you?
- How do you keep all the different plates spinning?
- We all make mistakes … What have you learnt from your mistakes?
- How do you plan ahead?
- What would you do differently if you could start again?
- What advice have you got for creatives starting out?
And they responded!
Want to read about their ups and downs, their challenges, their inspiration?
TheDesignTrustThirtyDesignersForNewDesignersPageTurner This is a ‘page turner’, so you can ‘flick’ the pages in the top corner.
TheDesignTrustThirtyDesignersForNewDesigners This is a PDF, that you can download on to ipad and tablets, and you can print this one if you like.
We would love to hear in the comments below what your favourite quote in the book is, and why.