Do you …
- have a great creative product or service and dream of getting more sales, more traffic to your web shop, a fuller order book, and earning more money? You have got a great product or service but you don’t really know what to do when it comes to marketing? Who your clients really are? How to network or approach potential clients? How to drive traffic to your website or online shop? How to use social media effectively (without wasting your time)? How to stay in touch so they come back? How to build a sustainable and profitable business longer term? (They didn’t really teach you marketing at art school did they?!)
- feel overwhelmed by all the jobs you need to do as a small creative business owner or sole trader already? So much to learn, but so little time (and money and energy!) And there are so many marketing and social media tools out there! Do you use a scatter-gun-approach in the hope that something will work?
- not really like self-promotion, marketing and sales? Maybe you aren’t very confident talking about yourself or your work? You want clients but you don’t want to boast too much and you don’t want to be too ‘salesy’?
- have very irregular income, with peaks and troughs? In the run up to Christmas you are busy, but you don’t have a regular income throughout the year?
- know that your market has changed, that you can’t rely on galleries any longer and you have more competition, and need to re-position yourself? Work on better images, improve your branding and build your reputation. Put some practical new ideas and energy into your business and marketing?
- have a website/database/client system/online shop that is still not finished … or isn’t working for you? You need some new ideas, an extra pair of eyes, and an extra dose of energy and accountability to launch it properly and confidently.
You aren’t the only creative professional struggling with marketing!
Most creatives have never trained in marketing and often lack the knowledge, skills and indeed confidence to approach potential clients.
So, it’s not surprising you find it hard!
The Design Trust Get Clients Now! online workshops & coaching programme
The Design Trust Get Clients Now online workshops and coaching programme is based on the successful Get Clients Now! programme, but adapted especially for creative businesses and freelancers, including designers, makers, illustrators, photographers, galleries, event organisers etc.
I am Patricia van den Akker, Director of The Design Trust, and I had worked in creative business development and marketing for nearly 15 years when I came across Get Clients Now!: A 28-Day Marketing Program for Professionals, Consultants, and Coaches
To be honest I didn’t like the title, it felt a bit crass, ‘too in your face’. But … it completely changed my approach to my marketing and sales! From a fairly strategic and theoretical approach this was something that was practical, got me into action and it worked!
This book and 28-day coaching programme uniquely combines:
- Marketing theory: with lots of practical ‘how to’ info for 100’s of promotional tools you can use, and then select those that will work best for you and your business (so no cold calling or dreadful networking events for you if you hate the thought of doing that!)
- A plan and system that WORKS: it gives you a 28 day strategy and marketing plan framework with goals and daily or weekly actions and to-do lists providing a supportive framework where you can fill in and track what you are working on
- It deals with your emotions around selling & marketing: it tackles your fears, procrastination, resentment, excuses, worries about marketing and selling head on (very few marketing books deal with this issue or give you any practical solutions!)
- Action: it is a 28-day programme that is entirely focused on getting you into action – so stop your excuses and start moving forward! It is long enough to see real change and give your business a boost, and short enough so that you will actually do it!
- Short & medium term activities: you will take immediate step-by-step action on what is currently stopping you (such as: no website or business cards, limited presentation or negotiation skills, no social media knowledge) and weekly or daily marketing and promotional activities (such as: contact 5 potential clients this week, put my work on 2 portfolio websites this week, have one client meeting this week)
- Support & accountability: Especially if you work with a buddy, marketing coach or coaching group through this book and 28-day programme then the likelihood of you achieving will increase. (A bit similar to Weight Watchers or the AA where you get ‘checked’ every week …)
You can read my extended book review of Get Clients Now! here.
I use Get Clients Now! on a regular basis now to give The Design Trust marketing a major boost. I found it so useful that I decided to train to become an accredited Get Clients Now! facilitator.
I will be your personal trainer, expert adviser and coach – facilitating the workshops, group and individual coaching sessions, and also will share my insights, skills, information and knowledge of 15 years in creative business development.
This Get Clients Now! programme is a unique opportunity to get advice and training from me, as well as confidential 1-2-1 advice & coaching (which I don’t offer without a programme!).
The Design Trust Get Clients Now! programme is for you, if ..
- You want to get more clients. Simple. You know that you have got a great creative product or service, but are struggling with getting new or more trade or consumer clients. You have been going for at least one year and you want to get better results from your marketing efforts.
- You want a proven structure and system that will assist you both strategically and practically to become more successful and confident with your marketing. You will create your own marketing plan, and select your own set of 10 weekly marketing and social media actions that are right for YOU, your business and your clients. So that you have a clear action plan/to-do-list, and know exactly what to do and when.
- You need some advice on planning your marketing, as you are doing loads of things but they don’t get you the result you want. You want to get more clarity and focus, and stop wasting your time, money and energy. You want to polish your skills and knowledge of marketing, networking, social media, negotiation and presentation. Entirely tailored to where YOU are stuck and work on what really needs doing, learning what YOU really need to know.
- You need a ‘personal-trainer-for-marketing’ to give your creative business a boost of energy, ideas and focus.
- You need an extra incentive to launch your website, online market place (such as Etsy, Not On The Highstreet or Folksy) or collection with the help from others.
- You want to get professional but affordable advice, but also get feedback, support and accountability from other creatives.
Ready to kick start your craft or design business?
Click here to book your place on our next online Get Clients Now workshops on Tuesday evening 24 and Wednesday 25 January, or our 5-week group coaching programme from Wednesday evening 1 February – 1 March.
What exactly is The Design Trust Get Clients Now! programme?
We will get started with two Get Clients Now online workshops on Tuesday 24 and Wednesday 25 January from 8pm – 9.30pm (UK time) when we will work together on:
- Find out what the successful Get Clients Now system is, how it works and how it can help you to focus on those marketing activities that will get you the results you want. I teach you the 28-day framework so you can use this by yourself again and again in the future.
- How to build a relationship with your clients and how the marketing cycle works. Where are you stuck in the marketing cycle and what do you really need to work on? Do you know who your clients are? Do you have a database? Do you need to follow up more frequently? Do you need to get more opportunities to meet and sell? Or does your presentation and negotiation skills need to be improved?
- What are the 6 marketing strategies that are the most effective for your creative business or career? Simply said: you will find out EXACTLY what works best to get clients for your creative business!
- What is stopping you to be more successful? What do you need to have, create or learn to be and feel more professional? To start approaching your dream clients more professionally and confidently? Do you sometimes wonder ‘if only I had x, then my marketing would be a breeze?’ – you will make x happen during this programme!
- How to make time for marketing? Let’s face it, nobody has time, you will need to make time. And I will show you how!
- By the end of these two workshops you will create your own 28-day marketing plan with specific marketing and sales goals and 10 actions that will work the best for you and your business. I will review your marketing plan in great detail and ask you questions to help you create the best plan for you and your business and clients. You will have a very clear idea of what to do exactly to reach your own marketing goal.
Prior to the first workshop you will need to do some homework and read the Get Clients Now book. After the first workshop you will again get some practical exercises to work on before the second online workshop the next evening.
This is an online programme, so you can join us from anywhere in the world, from the comfort of your own home or studio! Perfect for professional creatives who don’t have easy access to professional training and advice, people who have other commitments, and people who might be a little shy.
Each session will be recorded, and you will have access to the recording and the presentations on our private online training platform. So you can watch the sessions again and again if you like. There you can also post any further marketing questions you might have, and can network with the other participants. You will have access to these workshops for 6 months, till July 2017.
INCLUDED: GET INDIVIDUAL & CONFIDENTIAL FEEDBACK ON YOUR MARKETING PLAN FROM ME
After the online workshops you email me your 28-day marketing plan and I will give you individual and confidential feedback by email (it often is 2-3 emails with very specific questions and feedback!). So you can be sure that you have selected the best marketing goal for you and your business, and the 10 daily or weekly activities YOU really want to focus on.
So often participants tell me how useful this is (and in fact the best part!); to get clarity with what they want to achieve through one clear goal, and a detailed to do list with 10 marketing actions, specifically for their business, and their clients.
This will really help you to get ready to start the 28 days of DOING the marketing – either by yourself or as part of our coaching group (see below).
WANT TO TURN YOUR IDEAS INTO ACTION?
JOIN OUR EXCLUSIVE 5-WEEK GET CLIENTS NOW! COACHING GROUP
Do you want to get accountability, extra support to turn your ideas into reality? After you have done the two online workshops, you can join me and max. 7 other creative professionals for our intensive 5-week Get Clients Now group coaching programme to give you and your business a real boost and work ON your marketing. It’s a bit like the AA or Weight Watchers for creatives who know that weekly checkups and group coaching will make you DO stuff! It includes:
- Detailed feedback by email on your 28-day marketing plan. I will help you to select the best marketing goal for you and your business, and the 10 daily and weekly actions you will work on during the programme.
- 5 x 60min weekly online group coaching sessions when you are doing the 28 days of marketing. Together, in a small group of like-minded professional creatives, we will work on celebrating your success, keeping you on track and giving you support where and when you need it. During our weekly sessions you can ask any marketing questions you have.
- 2 x 30min coaching from me via skype or phone: confidential coaching and advice on any marketing or business question or challenge you might have.
- 5 BONUS webinars and videos on specific marketing topics. Depending on the specific needs of the group we will give you access to 5 x 1hour online training, including getting to know your client, creating collections, Pinterest, Instagram, newsletters, approaching retailers, pricing, branding, photography, …
The next 5-week coaching group starts on Wednesday 1 February at 8pm (UK time), for 5 consecutive weeks.
These weekly group coaching sessions are in a small group of only 7 creatives, and will last one hour each. By popular request these sessions happen during the evening so that more people can join us, including people from abroad.
Interested in doing the group coaching programme but these days and times don’t work for you? We will be running the next group in May/June 2017.
The deadline to apply for our Get Clients Now is Friday 20 January at 12noon, as you will need to get the Get Clients Now book and do some reading and marketing planning exercises before the first workshop. But often our group coaching sessions are fully booked before the deadline, so make sure you sign up now to avoid disappointment!
Ready to work on your marketing?
Join our two online workshops + feedback for £99,- or the 5-week group coaching programme for £395:*
* all The Design Trust Business Club members get 10% or 20% discount (for details see FAQ
Don’t wait! Only 14 creatives can do the workshops, and only 7 can join the group coaching programme. Registration will close on Friday 20 January at 12noon.
That’s right. I am keeping this group coaching programme deliberately small so that you can get the most of my attention during the group and individual calls, and so that you can network and learn from the other participants too.
I close the registration on Friday 20 January as you will need to do some reading and preparation prior to the online workshop. But if the programme is full before this time then it will be closed for further participants!
The Design Trust Get Clients Now coaching programme is ideal for:
- Designers and crafts people who are committed, and want to grow their creative business, confidence and knowledge in marketing themselves and their businesses. Other creatives such as photographers, interior and web designers, illustrators, visual artists, event organisers, galleries or shops might find this programme useful too. The vast majority of participants have been running their own business between 3 – 8 years, but we have had newer and far more established businesses too! (they often felt stuck, needed to reposition themselves or wanted help with their social media strategy or selling wholesale.) If you are a very new business then I suggest you participate in the online workshops, but I wouldn’t recommend taking part in the group coaching programme until you have been up and running for at least one year.
- Creatives who are busy, need flexibility and haven’t got easy access to high quality business advice and support locally. As the programme is online you can join from anywhere in the UK and abroad! As the sessions take place during the evening you can join even if you are running a part-time business, have a family or are too busy with your business during the day. (We have had somebody from Sydney in Australia joining this programme!)
- People who are committed to work a specific period on their marketing and sales. You will need 1-2 hours/week to attend the workshops and calls. I recommend that you spend around 10hours per week during the 28-day-programme to get the most out of it, so you do need to be committed!
The coaching programme is less or not suitable for you if:
- You hate working in a framework or towards a plan. You will create your own marketing goal and action plan with 10 daily/weekly actions. If you don’t like working towards specific goals then this is not for you.
- You can’t commit to attending the workshops and calls, and doing your own marketing activities.
- If you are a very new business then you will probably struggle and not get as much from this programme. You will need to set a financial and clear marketing goal, and this is far harder when you haven’t started yet and you won’t see much difference then in a 28-day programme. I suggest that you have at least 12 months of selling your products or services behind you.
Before you commit or start the programme I strongly advice you to read the book Get Clients Now! to see if this is for you.
Some testimonials from previous Get Client Now! clients:
‘Patricia, I just wanted to let you know that I have been absolutely inundated with projects since taking your “Get Clients Now” course in Sep/Oct! I am winning more high value jobs based on more persuasive proposals. Your course and suggested reading list has literally been life-transforming.
I’ve reached out to two graphic design freelancers to help me on some large projects that I don’t have the capacity to do on my own. I’m fully booked for December and I have new projects for new clients starting in January. I have been working hard on defining my business niche and will re-launch in the new year with a new website.
So a huge THANK YOU to you for delivering this exceptionally results-based course and for being so supportive and wise!’ – Designer specialising in visual presentations, in business 8+ years
‘The book guides you through each day with tips and if you feel unsure or you’re having a bad day you can always email Patricia for help and advice. Each week you have a webinar and this allows you to get together with the others. It is like being part of a huge creative family. You only hear the other participant’s voices. No one judges you and everyone has empathy with you. I started the course feeling okay but my road leading up to the programme had been very rocking and shaky. I embraced the course and its ethos and gave it 100%. I had a wobble at week 3 and struggled, Patricia gave me advice and then opened it up to the others and they each guided me through the process.
By the end of the 28th day: Wow, what a difference in me! My friends had noticed the change and I am more confident and I firmly believe I will achieve my goals and aims. I am going to do extremely well in my business. And even if I get a rejection from anyone with regard to my products. It will be their loss, not mine! I feel euphoric and energised and very confident that I will succeed.
Thank you very much Patricia for giving me permission to change and showing me how I can change. This is a wonderful programme to be part of and I would recommend it to anyone.’- a glass designer maker
Are you ready to get more clients?
Join the 2 online workshops + marketing plan feedback for only £99,- or the 5-week coaching programme for £395!*
*All The Design Trust Business Club members get a 10%-20% discount! (details see FAQ)
Frequently asked questions:
When will this programme take place?
The two online workshops will take place on two consecutive evenings: Tuesday 24 and Wednesday 25 January from 8pm – 10pm (UK time).
The 5 group coaching sessions will take place on 5 consecutive Wednesdays, starting on 1 February from 8pm – 9pm (UK time) and the final session is on 1 March.
This is an intensive programme that requires around 4h/week for the reading and joining the webinars, but at least 10h/week when you are doing the group coaching as you will be implementing your marketing ideas into your own business.
Your 2 x 30min coaching/advice session with me can be scheduled between February and April.
What do I need to participate in the programme?
Before the online workshop you will need to purchase your own copy of Get Clients Now!: A 28-Day Marketing Program for Professionals, Consultants, and Coaches (Please make sure that you get the most recent 3rd edition, which was published in May 2013) which is available from Amazon as a kindle version or as a soft cover book. As I don’t know what you prefer, I leave this up to you.
Prior to the online workshop you will need to read the first two parts of this book and do some exercises too. More details will be send to you 2 weeks before the session.
To get the most of the online workshops and group coaching sessions I suggest that you join us from a computer with internet access so that you can view and listen to the Powerpoint presentation (workshops). There are no additional (international) call costs for this option. Please make sure that you check the technical requirements here before signing up.
You can also access the workshops and online group coaching via a phone, but then you will be unable to view the Powerpoint presentations during the online workshop (less of an issue during the group coaching sessions). Your international telephone provider might charge you additional telephone charges for this option.
Economic times are a bit tough, can I get a discount?
I think this programme is excellent value for what you will get (Many of my creative business coach/advice colleagues will charge over £100 per hour alone!). If you work on it and put in about 10hours/week during the 28 days, I know that most of our previous participants on this programme made sales that were far higher than the cost of this programme. So, really see it as an investment in you and your business.
We offer an easy pay plan for the full coaching programme of 4 monthly instalments:
You can pay in 4 monthly installments of £100,- per month (£400,- in total) by clicking here.
Please note that this easy-pay plan option has no discount options available. We will be in touch with you asap to get further registration details from you.
Also … we do offer an early bird discount for anybody who signs up to the online workshop or the 5-week coaching programme by Friday 16 December 2016 at 5pm (GMT).
Get £19,- off the online workshop + individual written feedback, and pay £80,- instead of £99 – use promotional code SMALLEARLYBIRD when you book on our Eventbrite page.
Get £50,- off the online workshop + the 5 week coaching programme, and pay £345,- instead of £395 – use promotional code BIGEARLYBIRD when you book on our Eventbrite page.
And … we offer the online workshop, so you get excellent value from the ideas and insights, and do the 28-day programme by yourself or with a buddy.
For The Design Trust Business Club members we offer a generous 10 or 20% discount (see below). So, feel free to join us as a new Business Club member, we love to have you with us!
I’m still not entirely sure, and I have got some questions …
I will be doing an intro webinar session about the programme so that you can get a feel about the programme and how I work. You can then also ask any questions you would like. This free intro webinar will take place on Wednesday 18 January at 8pm (UK time). For more information and to register click here.
What if I like the programme but none of these days suit me?
You will find at the bottom of this website page a form where you can register if you are interested in future programme dates. Please register below and you will be the first to know when future dates and times will be available (in May/June 2017).
Also don’t forget that all the online training is recorded, and you can decide to join the online workshops not live but access it via the recordings and our online training platform.
What if I can’t make one of the group coaching session?
The group coaching programme is for highly committed creatives, who really want to make a change and improve their marketing and give their business a real boost. I recommend that you spend 7 – 14hours every week during the 5-week coaching programme.
I expect you to commit to the entire group coaching programme and to try your best to attend all the sessions on time. You will get the most out of the programme if you commit to attending all sessions. A big part of the success of this programme is your commitment – both to yourself and to the group.
But, don’t forget that this is an online programme, which can be accessed from any (fairly up-to-date) computer with internet access or even phone, wherever you are! Many of the previous participants have joined us from overseas, during holidays or meetings elsewhere!
But I know too, that life happens and you might be running a little late or are unexpectedly unable to attend. All the sessions will be recorded, so you can watch them later.
How can I get the Business Club 20% discount and save £55?
We give our Annual Business Club members a 20% discount and our monthly members 10%:
Instead of £99,- for the online workshop + feedback, our annual members will pay £79.20 and our monthly members £89.10.
Instead of £395,- for the online workshop + group coaching, our annual members will pay £316,- and our monthly members £355.50.
Current Business Club members can find the discount code in the membership section under What’s Happening This Month.
As the Business Club membership membership is only £125/year this might be a great option for you too! Plus you will get lots of additional benefits such as webinars, video interviews and online business info too. For more information and to become an Annual Business Club member please see our website.
If you want to join our Get Clients Now! Coaching programme and become an Annual Business Club member then register as an Annual Business Club member, and then email me immediately on email@example.com that you have become an Annual Business Club member and want to register for The Design Trust Get Clients Now! programme. I will then reserve your space and will give you a discount code to register and pay for the Get Clients Now! programme.
Please note this 20% discount is only available for Annual Business Club members.
If you currently are a Monthly Business Club member then you can:
- Cancel your monthly membership, and rejoin as an Annual Business Club member to get the 20% discount.
- Our Monthly Business Club members will get a 10% discount.
If you are becoming a new Monthly Business Club member, then please use the same procedure as above to obtain your 10% discount.
You will need to agree to continue being a Monthly Business Club member for a min. of 4 months.
If you have any questions, please contact me on firstname.lastname@example.org
How much time will I need to spend on this programme?
Prior to the online workshop you will need to read the first 2 parts from the book Get Clients Now!: A 28-Day Marketing Program for Professionals, Consultants, and Coaches. This will take about 2 – 4 hours each week depending on your reading speed and existing marketing knowledge.
During the weeks of the group coaching sessions you will spend one hour/week in the session, plus at least one hour/day doing the marketing. To get the most out of this programme, I would recommend that you spend during these weeks at least 10 hours/week on marketing activities, so that is about 11/hours in total per week. But the sky is the limit, it is up to you!
If there is one thing that participants tell me is how important it is to make time in advance to DO the marketing. At the end of the course they often speak of their regret of not putting time aside before.
What if I don’t want to discuss confidential information with others?
One of the great things about this programme is not just me, but that you will get the support and ideas from others! (Many of our past participants have commented on how fantastically useful it is to realise they aren’t the only one with certain challenges!) As an experienced creative business adviser and coach I am always amazed how much people get out of being in a group, how much they learn from each other, and find like-minded people in the group.
But I fully understand that there might be certain topics that you don’t want to share with others. If there would be two very similar designers both wanting to join this group then I would inform both of you in advance. Also, you will get 2 x 30 minutes individual coaching and feedback just with me.
However, if you prefer to have purely 1-2-1 advice and coaching from me, then I provide a individual package of this programme. You join the online workshop, but then the 5 weekly sessions will be 1-2-1 with me, not with a group. A big advantage of this as well is that we can arrange this at a day and time that suits you.
If you are interested in this individual VIP coaching programme (costing £895,-) then contact me on email@example.com
What if I run a part-time creative business?
Absolutely not a problem at all! The workshops and group sessions are in the evening to allow creatives who work elsewhere to participate too.
And you set your own marketing goals and actions, so instead of daily actions you might want to set weekly targets to make it easier for you to fit in with your specific working pattern.
What if I have only just started and haven’t got any clients at all?
You are welcome to join the online workshop, but the 5-week group coaching programme is really aimed at creative businesses who have been selling regularly for at least 12 months, and you will get a lot more out of the programme if you wait. But if you want to join the workshops, then instead of setting financial goals you might like to set goals such as ‘to identify and approach 10 business clients/week’ or ‘to launch my Etsy shop in 5 weeks time’.
What if I don’t live in the UK?
You can join us from anywhere in the world, and I would love to have an international group of participants as we can learn so much from each other! In fact we have had clients joining from Norway, Spain and the Highlands in Scotland, and even clients from India and Sydney, Australia (she did the sessions in the early mornings, while we were doing it in the evening!), which was great.
The principles around marketing and sales are international, although there might be slight differences in culture. I might be less knowledgeable about your particular market.
All the workshops and group calls are done online in the evening in the UK, which means that it will be daytime in the US and late evening in Europe (for specific time conversion check TimeZone Converter)
The charges of this programme are in British Pound. When you click to register you will be able to see the amount in your own currency before purchasing.
Is this a group coaching programme only for visual creatives?
Yes, this is a special programme for visual creative professionals only, incl. designers, crafts people, photographers, visual artists, architects, typographers, creative event organisers, galleries, … It’s what I specialise in!
If you have any questions if this programme is suitable for you then please email me on: firstname.lastname@example.org
What about refunds and guarantees?
If you are not sure if this programme is for you then I suggest strongly that you read first Get Clients Now! to see if the ideas and structure are suitable for you. Or join the free intro webinar to see if you like our approach and the way the programme works, and check to see if you like online learning and get any questions answered. Or join us for the online workshop only.
We will give you a no-squibble, full refund if you contact us in writing before the first online workshop starts on Monday 23 January. Please make sure that you check in advance for the technical requirements to access the webinar software, as we are unable to fully refund you when the programme has started.
If you registered for the online workshops and are unable to attend live then you can watch the recordings and join the online training platform till July 2017. We are unable to give you a refund once the workshops have started.
If you are registered for the 5-week group coaching programme, and are unable to join the online workshops or coaching programme, then we will give you a full refund till Monday 23 January only. In exceptional personal circumstances we will transfer you to a future group, without additional payment, but this is at the discretion of The Design Trust. Please contact us in writing immediately. This might sound harsh but for the success of the group sessions we rely on the commitment of each individual participant to build trust, make the group dynamics and learning really work, and for us as an organisation and financially. Please make sure that you are committed and are aware of the time commitment required to make this programme a success for you and your business.
How are payments handled?
You can register and pay confidentially and securily through EventBrite by PayPal or credit card. It might look like you can only pay by PayPal, but if you click on the link below the button that says ‘if you don’t want to pay with paypal’ then you can pay via your bank account.
International payers will be able to see their equivalent currency before their final purchase.
The payment will be accredited to The Design Trust.
What happens after I have registered and paid?
You will get a confirmation email from Eventbrite as soon as you pay with details about how to get ready for the online workshops on 24 and 25 January and the full 5-week group coaching starting on 1 February.
In mid January you will get an email with instructions how to access the online workshop and group coaching sessions, and how to access the online training platform, plus your homework to read part 1 + 2from Get Clients Now!: A 28-Day Marketing Program for Professionals, Consultants, and Coaches prior to the online workshop.
I strongly suggest that you put the dates for the online workshop and 5 group sessions immediately in your diary. You also might like to get the Get Clients Now! book in advance to start familiarising yourself.
Any other questions?
Please don’t hesitate to contact me on email@example.com
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Patricia van den Akker – Director of The Design Trust