Yorkshire Artspace in Sheffield runs Starter Studio Programmes, one for Designer Silversmiths & Jewellers, and one for Ceramicists to foster new talent and support early career artists.
The Programmes are designed to help ambitious and entrepreneurial artists at an early career stage to develop their skills and creative enterprises in a supportive environment.
Starter Studio Programmes offer access to shared workspace and equipment, technical and mentor support, business advice and occasional commission and exhibition opportunities.
They are currently calling for applications for the Starter Studio Programmes: Designer Silversmiths & Jewellers and for Ceramicists to be held in October 2017.
The Starter Studio Programme for Silversmiths & Jewellers was established in January 2002.
Delivered from a fully equipped silversmith workshop at the Persistence Works Studios, the key Features of the 2 year programme include:
- 24/7 access to shared fully equipped studio space
- Access to technical and mentor support
- Face to face business advice and support
- Bursary to undertake online training via The Design Trust
- ‘Precious Little Gems’ commission and occasional exhibition/showing opportunities
- Free hallmarking and makers stamp whilst on the programme via Sheffield Assay Office
- Receive a 20% discount on regular studio rental for 2 years from completion of the programme (subject to studio availability)
Costs are £120 per month (inclusive of heat/power) plus 1 month bond repayable on leaving the programme.
The Starter Studio mentors are all experienced, nationally known silversmiths and/or jewellers, including include Brett Payne, Chris Knight, Maria Hanson, Rebecca Joselyn, Coilin O’Dubhghaill and Jennie Gill.
In the second year on the programme all makers are offered the opportunity to apply for the ‘Precious Little Gems’ Commission Award via Sheffield Assay Office in partnership with Yorkshire Artspace. Launched in 2014 (to complement the Little Gems awards est. 2002) this is the start of a new collection of fine silverware which will be shown at Millennium Galleries through our partnership with Museums Sheffield.
Deadline: Monday 10 April, at 9am